Community-Based Hearing HealthCare
According to the World Health Organization, around 466 million people have disabling hearing loss, with the greatest prevalence living in developing countries. Unfortunately, less than three percent of these individuals can afford hearing aids or even have access to the care they need. We are working tirelessly to change this by building strong partnerships, empowering local teams and expanding our four-phase Community-Based Hearing HealthCare model around the world.
- Identify and train partners and community-based health workers.
- Identify, screen and give primary ear-care services to potential hearing aid candidates.
- Take ear impressions.
- Create custom earmolds.
- Provide hearing devices and custom ear molds on qualified hearing aid patients using WFA fitting method.
- Counsel and train hearing aid recipients, teachers, student ambassadors and patients on how to care for and operate hearing aids.
- Provide AfterCare information to hearing aid recipients on where to go and who to contact for follow-up services.
- Select and train local program teams to execute ongoing program activities.
- Provide ongoing monthly AfterCare services at a central location giving patients access to additional care including recounseling, batteries and free services to repair or replace hearing aids when needed.
- Monitor and evaluate program and team.
- Provide on-going education for the program team and community-based healthcare workers.
- Identify new hearing aid candidates for future phase one.
- Collect data.
Mainstreaming into Life
- Provide self-empowerment tools to become self-determinant.
- Equip people with skills and resources to incorporate hearing into life.
- Employ speech-language pathologists who visit schools and provide additional case.
- Track progress in assimilation, listening, speech, and language in education classes and home.
Give the Gift of Hearing
Starkey Hearing Foundation gives the gift of hearing to people in need in more than 100 countries. Help us continue to spread the gift of hearing around the globe.DONATE NOW »
Check out some of our current missions happening in the U.S. and around the globe.view all hearing missions »